Thursday, February 10, 2011

Nourishing Foods - Grocery Shopping

This is my last post for this series, showing what our current "Nourishing Foods" grocery shopping looks like. If you have any questions, I'd love to answer them as best I can!


(Just for kicks, I'll throw the prices in today as a bonus.)
Organic Romaine Lettuce - $2.99
Stonyfield Organic Yogurt - $3.99
Kroger Orange Juice - $3.49
(2) 1/2 gal. Local Milk - $2.99 ea.
Bananas - $1.50
3lb. Cara Cara Oranges - $3.99
King Arthur All Natural White Wheat Flour - $4.69
Kroger All Natural Peanut Butter - $1.89
(2) T-bone Steaks - $10.48
Private Selections Beef Roast - $10.39
Reg. Roast - $10.08
Chicken Breasts - $8.28
Pears - $1.96
Avocados - $2.00
Naturally Preferred Brown Eggs - $2.59
Pepsi & Dr. Pepper - $4.00 ea.

Total: $83.92

I didn't think my total was too bad considering all the meat I bought and for getting more "delicious toxins" for Daniel (aka his sodas). I saw the steaks marked down and thought they would make a birthday dinner extra special next month.

The Private Selections roast was also marked down from just under $18. Ever since watching Food, Inc. a second time I have been getting more and more leery of feeding Susannah generic meat. I have heard that Private Selections is a high quality brand (they have a high quality price tag, I know that much!), so I am hoping that they really are. Anyway, this roast will be specifically for Susannah, and Daniel and I will eat the other one (most of it will probably go towards his sandwich meat).

I was excited to see the bananas marked down, too :) Daniel likes Banana Pudding or Banana Cream Pie and I haven't made either of those for him in forever. I'll make one of those for him and the rest of the bananas I'll freeze to add to smoothies. They are nice bananas for being mark-downs!

To keep this post from getting too long, I'll do a "grocery shopping wrap up" post later, with what I've learned from these first few weeks of our journey.

2 comments:

Cristy said... [Reply to comment]

I ran into Foodlion yesterday (I usually shop at Kroger or Martins) and I found Vegetarian 4 Grain brown eggs on sale for 1.99/dz. That's the cheapest I've seen any sort of 'healthy' egg for a long time!

Maria D. @ DownrightDomesticity said... [Reply to comment]

Your "delicious toxins" comment cracks me up!