Sunday, February 20, 2011

28 Days of Love - Day 19

Reading.

It will be no surprise to any of my family that reads this, I love to read. To the point of pretending like I could read before I could read. Yes, I really did it. I picked out a book from our vast, bursting at the seams "library" - I think it was the 1st book in the Grandma's Attic series, sat in a chair and "read" the book. I looked at each page for what I deemed an appropriate amount of time (there were no pictures, just words!), slowly making my way through the book. I don't remember if I made it all the way through or not, but I remember doing it and wishing I knew what the words were!

From the time I actually did learn to read until I got married, I had my nose buried in a book as often as I could. Now I don't read as much, but it is certainly not from lack of want! Mostly because of time, but also because 99% of my books are boxed up and in the attic from lack of space for them in our living area. A good friend of mine has given me a few books lately and I have been devouring them when I allow myself.

I hope I am passing along my love for reading to Susannah. From the picture above (taken in January), it looks like I might be succeeding :)


********
Please feel welcome to join me in posting 28 Days of Love!
I just ask that you link back to my post for the day
and leave a comment with a link to your post!

********
Here's a shameless plug to anyone that might want to design a cute button for this meme.
Contact me through my contact button!

4 comments:

Anonymous said... [Reply to comment]

I still really like to read, but I have to say that I am having trouble finding good books to read. Sometimes I just want to read a story, not something I have to think and ponder. Fiction just doesn't cut it anymore; someone said it was because I hear too much "fiction" every day at work. That could be true, plus I think fiction can make us dissatisfied with real life. Or maybe I have become so jaded and such a cynic that I am annoyed by it. So if anyone has any good suggestions for reading, let me know. Thanks!

Rachel said... [Reply to comment]

Whoops, forgot to put my name on the reading response.

Lucy said... [Reply to comment]

I agree with Rach on the fiction thing. It does cause a person to be dissatisfied with reality. A good book is very hard to find, though.

Anonymous said... [Reply to comment]

I also agree with Rach and Lucy. I find that the Digest is about as good as it gets when it comes to reality. Although I probably read more decorating and flower arranging books and magazines than anything else right now.... and FYI, the decorating books/mags can make you dissatisfied too.... so I have to find other people to decorate for so I can still enjoy it!!!