Thursday, February 3, 2011

Nourishing Foods - Grocery Shopping

Ah, the 3rd week of sharing my grocery shopping with you. Sally was right in her comment last week when she said shopping with a goal is a lot more expensive than shopping with a budget. Somehow I want to get "goal" and "budget" married to each other. I know that eating nourishing foods is going to require a bigger grocery budget, and that I don't have a printing press in my basement. (Ha, I wonder how many hits that line will get me!) So I think my best bet is moderation. Surprisingly, alot of the prices are very comparable for the better quality, if you compare with a leading name-brand. Anyway, enough rambling. Here's what I got this week:

Bottle of Red Wine (for cooking!)
Gal. Kroger brand orange juice
Gal. local milk
Oatmeal
8lbs. oranges
Qt. honey (I'm checking into a possible local source)
Popcorn (Maybe I'll try growing some this year!)
Cornstarch (Yeah, I know, a modified corn product!)
Frozen Peas and Veg. Blend
Spinach
Organic Lettuce
Sour Cream
Organic Carrots
Organic Mushrooms - markdown
(10) 1/3 less fat Cream Cheese
Dried Apricots
2 doz. Cage Free Brown Eggs
Organic Pumpkin Seeds
Kiwi
Onions
Mango
Organic Tomatoes
Avocados

$94.97

The wine and cream cheese ($10 in itself) aren't usual buys, and I had to up our milk because Susannah is drinking milk now :)

2 comments:

Mama said... [Reply to comment]

Looks about right. When we went to eating more real food, our budget had to go up quite a bit. Most of that comes from eating so much food that doesn't keep. When you can't stock up, it makes it more difficult.

http://www.100daysofrealfood.com/
This girl's budget is $125 per week. It's a good read!

Elizabeth said... [Reply to comment]

You did really great. And now I seriously want a kiwi.