Monday, February 28, 2011

28 Days of Love - Day Whatever

My Grandma


Yesterday we celebrated Grandma's 90th birthday. Ninety!

Grandma and Granddaddy lived within hollerin' distance of our house when I was a kid, and I know her better than any of my other relatives, I think. Grandma has ALWAYS, always, always, always made me feel special. Granddaddy was a member of different dairy associations and sometimes traveled overnight for meetings and conferences. If he was going to be away for more than a night, Grandma would invite one of us kids to spend the night with her. Oh boy, THAT was special!! Even though they lived so close, it was SOOOOO special and made me feel SO IMPORTANT to spend the night with Grandma!! Spending the night at her house meant I could pack my little, hard-sided, "Going to Grandma's" suitcase and well, it was just THE THING!

Grandma was an excellent cook, she could make anything delicious, so eating supper and breakfast with her was always fun, too. Sometimes she would ask what I wanted for supper or breakfast. One time I asked her to make Johnnycakes like in the Little House books by Laura Ingalls Wilder. Lo and behold, she made Johnnycakes for me for breakfast!

There are so many things about Grandma that make her so special to me, I could write and write and write. Getting together yesterday to celebrate her 90 years was very special. Watching MY daughter get to know her Great-Grandma, and watching MY Grandma get to know MY daughter - Wow. (I didn't know any of my great-grandparents.)

Grandma no longer lives in her trailer on the farm, she has moved into an assisted living part of a nursing home. She doesn't remember details sometimes, but she is still Grandma. Kinda reminds me of the book, Love You Forever.

Ok, before I start bawling and snotting all over the place...

I have decided that instead of trying to play catch-up with my 28 Days of Love project, I'm going to let it end where it is. The camera is still not working and I don't want to leave this hanging in limbo.

I really enjoyed doing the 28 Days of Love, even though it didn't quite make it the whole 28 days! I will admit that some days I had to think and look for things to post. Other days I had lots of ideas. I still have some that I never got around to. One thing that I did learn - and I thought I would learn this - is that there IS love around me, if I just look for it. Some days it's easy to feel unloved, but when I start looking... there's lots of evidence that I am very, very loved. By my Heavenly Father, my husband, my daughter, my church family, my Grandma ;) ... and it doesn't end there. Sometimes it's not the big flashing neon sign that says "I Love You" - which is what we see the easiest - and instead it's the little things that we don't notice or think to pay attention to.

Just look for it. It's there.

3 comments:

Sally said... [Reply to comment]

You are so right! This Feb. Series (doing it myself) has really improved my life. I see and notice so much more of the love and loveliness in my life. I now see more of the depth and richness of the love in our marriage. Thanks so much for inspiring me to do this. I'm looking forward to next Feb. already!

Cate said... [Reply to comment]

Aww. Your grandma sounds awesome!

(Also, I can barely even read Love You Forever to my daughter without sobbing...I try to avoid it. Haha)

Candi said... [Reply to comment]

Awww! I miss my Granny, we died just before my daughter was born. So glad your little one will have special memories with your Grandma. :)