Friday, August 22, 2008

Homemade Tortillas

Today is Friday - that means that over at Gayle's blog is another Friday recipe swap :) Several great recipes if you're in the market for new ones to try, so check it out!


I made this tortilla recipe just yesterday for Chicken Fajitas, and they were great! From an "ingredients price list" I made about a year ago, this recipe cost $.27 in ingredients to make. It's probably a little bit more now, but to buy 12 tortillas from the store cost me $.88. So this is cheaper to make.


Flour Tortillas

Combine in mixing bowl:
2 cups unsifted flour
1 tsp. salt


Cut in with pastry blender:
1/4 cup lard or shortening


When particles are fine, add gradually:
1/2 cup lukewarm water


Toss with fork to make a stiff dough. Form into a ball and knead thoroughly on lightly floured board until smooth and flecked with air bubbles. To make dough easier to handle, grease surface, cover tightly, and refrigerate 4 - 24 hours before using. Let dough return to room temperature before rolling out.


Divide dough into 8 balls for large tortillas, or 11 balls for common 8-inch size. Roll as thin as possible on a lightly floured board, or between sheets of waxed paper. Drop onto a very hot ungreased riddle. Bake until freckled on one side. (Takes only about 20 seconds.) Lift edge, turn, and bake on second side. To serve at once, fold each limp tortilla around small lumps of margarine. Or cool tortillas, wrap airtight, and refrigerate or freeze. To serve later, place in tightly covered baking dish and warm in oven, or fry briefly in hot shallow oil.


Option:
Replace 1/2 cup flour with cornmeal or whole wheat flour.


I baked mine in a cast-iron skillet, and they baked alot faster than 20 seconds per side. I did not do the margarine thing when they were right off the skillet, and they worked fine for fajitas. I put them in a ziploc in the refrigerator to store the leftovers.


They also made GREAT peach quesadias!! Sprinkle a sliced peach with a little flour, sugar and cinnamon, spoon onto half the tortilla, fold other half over top. Warm in skillet, flip to warm other side, and enjoy!!!

4 comments:

Anonymous said... [Reply to comment]

Yum! I definitely need to try this recipe. If nothing else, it sounds fun. I wonder how I could substitute cornmeal to make corn tortillas?... Have you ever tried it??

Miriam said... [Reply to comment]

I would start out trying the 1/2 cup cornmeal substitute for 1/2 cup of the flour like the recipe suggests. You could add a little more following times you make them if you wanted to use more cornmeal. I haven't tried it with cornmeal, but I think they would be good. It was fun to make these, and eat tortillas I had made and not "store-bought".

Sally said... [Reply to comment]

Seeing this makes me want to make some again. However, I am in the midst of making pizza, piece by piece. I browned the sausage today. I may chop up the veggies tomorrow, then actually make the dough and put it together on Mon. Sounds like cooking, huh? Well, in my state, that's the way I do it. Soooo.... I will probably use the tortillas I bought for now.

Have you ever wrapped up some scrambled eggs (with peppers, onions, and meat in them) and some taco sauce in a tortilla? That is very good. We do that for breakfast sometimes on our egg morning.

Thanks for the recipe. I think mine is a wee bit different, with a pinch of baking powder in it.

I will read your most recent post later. It looks very interesting, but I must go to bed.

Sharon said... [Reply to comment]

I like to make my own tortillas also. Although I cheat and buy the tortilla mix at the store. I'd like to try this with my wheat flour.

Mine are never round either.... they always look something like Texas or Alaska. smile

Thanks for your nice comment on my blog!