Monday, August 11, 2008

Fried Rice My Way

Here's my concocted recipe for the Fried Rice we had for supper tonight. I used a basic recipe I found by Google-ing "Fried Rice", and then adapted it to my liking. I especially like it because I can make one whole meal really cheaply, and using only 1 chicken breast!

Fried Rice My Way
1 onion
2 - 3 lg. eggs
1 tsp. salt
1/4 - 1/2 tsp. pepper
4 cups cold, cooked rice (leftover, or cooked ahead)
1 - 1 1/2 Tbsp. Soy Sauce
1 - 1 1/2 Tbsp. Oyster Sauce (bought at WalMart in the Asian Foods aisle)
1 sm. squash
1 sm. carrot
1/3 lg. bag of Food Lion brand broccoli, cauliflower & carrot mix (probably about 1 1/2 cups worth)
1 sm. boneless, skinless chicken breast
Olive Oil
Pepsi, optional

-Chop onion into med - small pieces, and slice squash 1/4" thick. Put in small bowl, or set aside.
-Dice chicken breast finely, set aside.
-Slice carrot into 1/4" slices. Over almost-high heat in large, non-stick skillet, saute vegetable mix and carrot in olive oil until just starting to get tender. Set aside in a small bowl.
-Saute onion and squash the same way, putting the sauteed onion/squash in the same bowl with the other vegetables, set aside.
-Beat eggs well, pour into pan. Stir briskly with fork, scrambling into fine pieces. Scrape into vegetable mix bowl, set aside.
-Cook meat in same skillet until almost done. Add rice, continue cooking and stirring.
-Add Salt & Pepper and sauces. Add vegetables and mix well.
-Optional: Add 1/4 - 1/3 can Pepsi or Diet Pepsi. Add a little at a time to taste.
-Continue cooking and stirring until Pepsi is cooked in, and everything is heated through.

Serve on small plates so you don't feel bad getting seconds and thirds!
This makes quite a bit, but it is soooo good!
You can also add in some frozen whole-kernal corn with the onions & squash.

You can use freshly cooked rice, but it gets alittle gooey-er than using cold rice. I cooked my rice this afternoon, and after it was cooled, added in the rice I had frozen from leftovers last week, so it was cold.

1 comments:

Rhonda said... [Reply to comment]

We like fried rice too, I always use cold, leftover rice too.

I usually use bacon, onions, corn, peas, carrots, soy sauce and beef broth, with large portions of the vegs and just a little bacon.

Never tried it with Pepsi, that is a new one to me.