Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Me Time

Today after finishing my grocery shopping (which I will post about tonight) I had an appointment to get my hair trimmed.

I know guys go to barbers, ladies go to hairdressers, right? I think so. So I'm going to refer to "the lady that cuts my hair" as my hairdresser. Just so you know 'n'all.

So we (my hairdresser and I) are chatting along, I'm telling her about how I use coupons; she's talking about how she just found a local butcher shop that sells fresh meat and how their prices are supposed to be really good (I want to check them out, it did sound good!), and so on.

She's almost done blow-drying my hair and giving the final cuts and makes this comment:
"You don't get much me time, do you?"

Umm.... I didn't know what to say. I wasn't sure what she meant by "me-time". And secondly, do I look that bad??!! Sure, I didn't have any make-up on, I walked in with my hair pulled straight back in a pony tail, my clothes weren't worn or ragged and I even had on nice shoes and not my white sneakers... I don't think I come across as the old country woman who is chained to the washboard and boiling tub of lye water every day. I hope not. Please tell me if I do. And how I can change that.

I bumbled around and said something like "well, I'm home all of the time...." meaning, "I like what I do every day and enjoy being home." I felt super lame-o giving that answer, but I'd never had that question asked before.

On the way home I was thinking about it and wondering what would I do if I specifically were to have "me time"?

Would I go get a manicure? Probably not. I might would get one sometime, but not for everyday living.

A pedicure? Maybe... if I had enough money that I didn't know what else to do with it. I think a pedicure might be fun sometime :)

A massage.... oooo, now you're talking. A weekly massage, that would be nice. But I don't have an oil field in my back yard. Unless the frogs have been keeping something from us.... have you been hiding an oil field, frogs?

Trips to the mall? Nah, not my type. I usually wind up with a headache when I go to the mall. Too much hustle and bustle for me. Now, could I spend $$ at a mall?? You betcha!! But again, see the previous item.

Then I got to thinking, what are ways that I could have "me time" without costing money?

Reading. I love to read.

Sitting on the deck. If we had one I think it would almost be my favorite spot. Many a time do I wish I could eat breakfast on our deck, or take a nap, or whatever.

Playing the piano. Blogging. Facebooking. Emailing. Do those things count?

The more I got to thinking about it, I think that "me-time" would be anything that I enjoy doing, for real and honest. And that's pretty much what I do, all day, every day. I'm the most happy when I'm in my element (and not a Honda Element, either), and that's home for me. Some of those things would be luxuries. I do read when I make/take time to. Playing the piano is the same. Blogging and facebook... well, they just happen.

Even more, I think I would prefer "us time", just Daniel and myself, over "me time".

Am I missing something? Is my backwoods, hickster, country-woman lifestyle missing something that I've been in the dark about all this time? Is "me time" something great and wonderful that I've just never experienced so I don't know what I'm missing?

Do you have me time? What is your me time?

6 comments:

Sally said... [Reply to comment]

Haha! I don't know if I will be much help. Blogging time is my me-time. I say it sounds like you have things pretty much figured out and are on the right track, if you enjoy what you do and are doing what you enjoy. Keep on, and I hope it never changes!

Unknown said... [Reply to comment]

I'm always careful to never tell people that I "just" stay at home with my kids. That makes my job sound so small! I think it's great that you chose not to work outside the home and instead take care of your home and husband and someday, your kids.
My "me" time is definitely when I take a break during the day to catch up on the blogs I read. And just my recreational reading. I love reading Christian fiction. Or to just go outside and mess around with my flowers.

Anonymous said... [Reply to comment]

You sound like me. I go to the beauty shop when I have to but me time can be watching a t.v. show or spending time with with family or maybe just taking a relaxing bath. I love your blog.

Cate said... [Reply to comment]

I tend to think of "me time" as just that--doing things you enjoy, whether or not they cost money or require you to be out of the house! Whenever I pamper myself and have "me time," it usually consists of something very simple--reading a library book, cuddling up with our cats, having a hot cup of tea, taking a bubble bath. Don't feel bad for enjoying being at home!

Phoebe @ GettingFreedom said... [Reply to comment]

I think that Kelly and Sally have it dead on.

I was catching up with a HS friend on Facebook and she asked me what my job was (back in the day I was on my way to being a pediatrician). Anyway, I told her that I was "just a stay at home mom". She put me in my place! She replied and told me that I should give myself more credit than that. And you know what, she's right. What we do (you included) as homemakers is very important.

If that is what makes you happy, then that is your me-time. If you find it relaxing to make bread, and stick your toes in freshly tilled dirt, then that is your me time. I have me time almost all day everyday. Is it what everyone else considers me time--probably not. But you know what--that is the beauty of me time. It's me (not some world view of who "me" should be)--and it is time. ;)

Mama said... [Reply to comment]

I am right there with you on the weekly massage! If I ever get one of those oil fields, I'll bring you along with me!
An evening ALONE in Barnes and Noble is my definition of me time! Especially if I can scrape together enough change for a hot chocolate at Starbucks!! I love browsing books to put on my Amazon wish list!!