Wednesday, May 6, 2009

April Grocery Budget Recap

(Don't forget to read how you can vote for my reusable Kroger shopping bag here!)

There are a ton of things that I keep reminding myself that I really need to get done because I haven't done them in a while.

Things like balancing the checkbook... updating our budget spreadsheet... I have a million and one things I want to blog about...

And today I'm taking the easy one: checking to see how well I did with my grocery spending in April.

My first week was a major pocketbook emptier. I kept that in mind all the rest of the month, but it was H.A.R.D. Man, it was so hard. I don't know that I could ever shop with less than $25/week regularly. Some weeks it's easy to do, but in April it seemed like every week had some really great deals that I couldn't pass up or I'd end up paying out the nose for some stuff later. It all panned out o.k. Not under budget, but not so over budget that I feel like I have to lock up my coupons, checkbook and car keys.

It came out to $27.12 per week for the month of April.

Just for kicks, here's what I would have spent if I had bought all of those groceries without the sales or coupons: $394.31

What I did spend: $135.57! My April savings were $258.74 or 67%!! Woohoo!!

I have been checking out different websites and blogs recently and 67% is the average that the big couponers out there save! I must not be doing too bad :) Granted, I've never gotten $200 worth of groceries for $5, but even they themselves admit that trips like that are not the norm.

I am hoping that my percent saved will creep up a little, though. I've made some minor changes that I'm hoping will help me get even more groceries with my budget. We'll have to see how things are at the end of May to see if they worked or not :)

0 comments: