Monday, May 18, 2009

Gardening!!!

This past Saturday was an exciting day! To start things off, I felt like my head was going to pop off most of the day. I came down with a bonafied cold Friday morning but didn't expect to feel that awful that fast.

And nope, I don't have the pig flu. No oinking or curly tails here.

We finally decided to go ahead and plant a garden, so Friday I hauled off to the feed store and bought a bunch of plants and some bean seeds. So of course we needed to get the plants planted, so we made arrangements with Daniel's dad to borrow his tractor and tiller for the initial tilling of our garden.

Saturday morning I didn't feel like it, but it had to be done. And here's how the first part went:

Here is our garden in all it's grown-up, wintered glory. Time for a makeover!!Daniel pulled up on his fine steed, his $150 lawn-mower and a wagon.First off, we have to haul out last years equipment. Daniel tied the pea fence panels to the wagon and dragged them to the back yard behind the shed where they'll wait until next year... we didn't plant peas this year.Then it was time for a good haircut. Every makeover has a haircut in it somewhere. Hello, beautiful! You are looking finer by the moment, but we're not quite finished. You're looking a little stressed. Tense. Worn out. Let us help you.Serious tenseness and worn-out-ness requires serious equipment. Nice rig, huh? :)Ahhhh, time for a deep-tissue massage ;)Lookin' much, much better :) Soon you'll be all ready for your implants. Don't worry, they'll be earth friendly ones. No botox.
I like seein' my man on a tractor :)

It took all afternoon and part of the evening, but I got everything planted that I wanted to that day:
2 double rows of Incredible Corn (with space for 3 more double rows)
almost 3 double rows of Tenderette Green Beans
20 tomato plants (6 Celebrity, 12 Roma and 2 Early Boy)
15 bell pepper plants, red, yellow and green.
I hope to plant squash and zucchini this coming weekend.

However..... today when I went out there to take a look, 2 of the pepper plants seem to have vanished into thin air :( 1 green and 1 yellow, I think. There was nothing left. The plants are still pretty small, only about 3" tall, so I'm wondering if a bird plucked them up... or if an underground varmint pulled them down under, but I didn't find any mole or vole tracks. I'm just hoping that the rest of them stay put!

Or, maybe it was a mouse. We killed 4 field mice throughout the day. Y'all should be proud of me! I stomped one of them in my bare feet!! I saw the mouse skittering across the garden and I thought for a split second "ok, I'm barefoot. I'm not one to jump at the change to squash a mouse... but Daniel's busy... and I don't want him to get away..." and I started running. We recently had some mouse trouble in our house and for sure aren't going to condone potential trouble.

7 comments:

Leighann said... [Reply to comment]

Miriam,

Do you all have problems with the deer in your garden? We sure do in Powhatan and finally had to fence ours, but that doesn't seem
to stop them either.

Leighann

Miriam said... [Reply to comment]

There's only been a very few times that we've found deer tracks in the garden, so I'd say that we don't have a problem. Unless it was a raindeer, it wasn't a deer b/c there weren't any tracks. Like, none. Whatsoever. Which is why I'm really stumped and am thinking either mouse or bird.

Lucy said... [Reply to comment]

hooray for squishing mice in the barefeet!! You're on your way to becoming a man!

Meghan said... [Reply to comment]

Oh my gosh Miriam! I am going to send you some barn cats! I am terrified of mice and any other non-domesticated animal. You have more guts than I, I bow to you!

Sally said... [Reply to comment]

Looks like you all had a fun, productive time. I don't think I would have squashed a mouse with my bare feet. You go, woman! (I don't think ladies squash mice at all, let alone with bare feet.)

The Prudent Homemaker said... [Reply to comment]

Wow! You got a lot planted in one day!

Could you have rabbits?

Judi B said... [Reply to comment]

BARE FEET!! You are a far better country gal than I think I could ever be.