Saturday, February 13, 2010

Almost 37 Weeks

Here we are :) Baby George and I. I was waiting for Daniel to get home from work to go to our small group get together so I fiddled around with the camera and timer and got another picture taken finally. It's amazing (to me) the big difference between week 32 and today!! Wow! George is getting big!


I have started my weekly Dr. visits and everything continues to be going really great! This past Monday she (Dr. D) said that the baby's head isn't anywhere near being in the pelvis, but he/she is still head-down.

Baby George now weighs about 6 1/3 lbs. and is approximately 19" long from head to heel. I can tell it must be getting more crowded in there... the kicks and wiggles aren't quite as drastic, more like slow, ploddish movements (but definitely moving around for sure!!). My stomach is starting to feel the squeeze, too. Sometimes it feels like my stomach is being shoved up my throat, and if I could just stretch myself out a bit everything would be good :P

I remain heartburn and reflux free so far! Other things have cropped up, though, that are making the pregnancy a little less enjoyable at times. My feet and ankles swell up like sausages most mornings before I get my shoes on. Thankfully wearing my shoes and being up and about seems to really help the swelling go down. A couple weeks ago I had the hard realization that all shoes but my sneakers are out for the next while. My feet simply will not go in any of my other shoes, sandals or even my flip-flops. Or, if I do manage to squeeze them into a different pair of shoes, my feet pouf out over the tops and look gross. So, if you see me at church on Sunday morning in my Sunday duds and wearing white scuffed up sneakers, well, there ya go :)

Pretty much the only other downside so far with the pregnancy has been considerable discomfort from time to time lately with my pubic bone. So far it doesn't hurt most days, but on the days it does it isn't very fun at all. It really slows me down. I know it's not as bad as it could be (a friend of ours was unable to walk some days because of it) and I try to not do things that seem to trigger it to hurt. I had to learn how to roll over in bed keeping my knees and feet together (it's really hard to do!!), how to get in and out of bed and the car... pretty much any movements that you normally do with your feet or knees NOT together. I've talked to the Dr. about it and she said it's related to round ligament pain as all the muscles connect to the bone at that one place where it hurts.

On a different note, we finally have a boy AND girl name picked out! Woohoo!! No, we aren't telling what those names are, but we both feel ready for a boy OR girl now that we have both names decided on. For a while Daniel wasn't ready to pick out names, then we had the boy name and kinda decided on the girl name but we just weren't quite sure about the girl name, even though we both liked it. It just didn't seem quite right. Then the other day we both thought of the exact same name and knew it was the right one :)

It is interesting to listen to people's comments about my pregnancy. One day a lady said I was still carrying very high. The very next day my MIL declared that the baby has dropped (Daniel and I don't think so). Some people say I'm carrying "out front," others say "all over." So far only one person has said they think it's a girl, though. Many people ask me what I think the baby is, and really and honestly I do not have any idea except that it's a baby and it's either a boy or a girl! I have tried very hard to not let other's ideas influence my own as I don't want to get attached to the baby as one gender and then having to adjust to it being the other. That's the whole point in not finding out what the baby is, so we can be surprised :)

9 comments:

Unknown said... [Reply to comment]

You look great! And no, I don't think the baby has dropped. You'll know for sure when that happens. All those movements you're learning (knees together, etc) will have to be re-learned b/c it will feel like George is between your knees!

Sounds like you're having a great 3rd trimester! Can't wait to "meet" George!

Elizabeth said... [Reply to comment]

You look terrific! I can't believe you're 37 weeks already! WOW! And, I'm going to mimic Healther. You'll know for sure when it happens. You won't be able to walk! Remember that whole balloon game as a kid when you have to run a relay holding a balloon between your thighs?? ;)

So happy for you, Girly!

Cate said... [Reply to comment]

Isn't it funny how quick other people are to tell you things about your pregnancy and your body? Especially if the woman's been pregnant before--seems like people don't understand that every pregnancy's different!

I commend you on not getting too attached to the baby as either gender yet...my husband and I were CONVINCED we were having a boy, and when I had my ultrasound, it turned out we were having a girl! I can't imagine going all the way to the end of the pregnancy thinking we were having one thing and then having the other. :-)

You look great, and I'm really eager to see what you and Daniel end up naming the baby!

Candi said... [Reply to comment]

You look fantastic! Totally glowing! I had to sleep with a pillow between my knees, one under my belly while lying on my left side and two propped behind me. Yeah - kevin was not that happy about not snuggling but I was too uncomfortable otherwise. And it only lasted a few weeks before the baby came. Can't wait to see the baby!

Unknown said... [Reply to comment]

I have been reading your blog almost since the beginning and I've really enjoyed keeping up with your pregnancy! My husband and I had a baby 5 1/2 months ago. We decided not to find out the sex, either. We had a daughter and a son, and decided we really wanted to be surprised this last time. It was so fun wondering and guessing what it might be, and having others wonder and say what they thought it was. We were convinced, at the very end, it was going to be a girl. But then SURPRISE! Another son! It was so much fun!

Maria D. @ DownrightDomesticity said... [Reply to comment]

You're such a cute mama! Glad to hear that the third trimester has been treating you pretty well!

I must confess that it's been hard not thinking of Baby George as boy, since, well, it's kind of a boy's name. :-P But I could definitely see your baby being a girl! It'll be a wonderful surprise, either way!

P.S. My midwife told me that, in her experience, if the dad-to-be has a hunch as to the baby's gender, he's almost 100% right. Interesting, eh?

Sally said... [Reply to comment]

Sounds like things are going fine. I never had the pubic bone pain, but I hope it doesn't flare up too many more times for you. For the swelling, you can get TED stockings to help with that. I had lots of swelling with Paul and that's what I used. It really helps. I'd offer you the ones I have, but I'm not coming down any time soon that I know of. Besides, I think I might have already loaned or gave them to somebody.

Oh, don't wait for your baby to "drop". Neither Paul or Hannah had "dropped" when my water broke. At least, as far as I know.

Anonymous said... [Reply to comment]

its a girl, i'm sure! But then I was wrong on Paul!!!

Phoebe @ GettingFreedom said... [Reply to comment]

You are such a beautiful pregnant woman! I can't wait to meet George. :) I can't believe you are this close already!

Ugh--I remember the pelvic pain.m NO FUN! I hope you do not endure much more of it.