Tuesday, January 5, 2010

Weekly Grocery Trip 1/5/10

In keeping with my Goals for 2010, before I bought any groceries this week I went to the bank and pulled out $30 cash. There was not much on sale for really, really great deals this week, which was nice because I had some big ticket items that were musts on my grocery list. Since I knew I was only spending $30 and not a penny more, I prioritized my grocery list before I went into Kroger. I will admit, there was a point when I started to dig through my purse to see how much change I could scrounge up so I could get "one more thing," but I quickly told myself "no." If I'm going to stick by my cash only goal, I need to stick to it... if I'm always making excuses, well, that's not my goal. I wasn't able to get everything on my list, but plenty to cover this week's menu some for next week's, too. And the sodas should last most of the month!


From Target:
12 pk. Pepsi - $.50
I had a $1 coupon, plus after I walked ALL the way from the grocery section to the CS desk, I noticed the box was dinged up. The cans were all ok, but the cashier marked it down 50% voluntarily.
12 pk. Dr. Pepper - $3.00
Total - $3.59

From Kroger:
(2) OJ Concentrate - $1.68 ea.
1/2 gal. Milk - $1.89
5lb. Bread Flour - $2.49
3pc. Split Chicken Breasts - $2.84
1.48lbs. 85/15 Ground Beef - $4.72
18ct. Eggs - $1.99
8oz. Sour Cream - $.79
Mushrooms - $.79
Lettuce - $1.97
1lb. Carrots - $.92
(4) Tomatoes - $1.27
Total - $23.61

Shelf Price - $37.93
Total OOP - $27.20
Saved - $10.73 / 28%

How is your grocery shopping for this week going? Staying under budget? Totally blowing it? Finding great deals you can't pass up? Feel free to leave me some comment love :)

5 comments:

horse loving lineman's wife said... [Reply to comment]

You did excellent. I, on, the other hand, go tomorrow. I feed four people, two adults, two teens, and when I buy groceries, I also get cleaning supplies and paper items. I wish we had the stores you did...we have expensive grocery stores, and Wal Mart. I pray I can keep my bill under $200 tomorrow (oh, that includes dog food too). Have an awesome day. kdc

Cate said... [Reply to comment]

Good job! I'm currently trying to cut back on our grocery spending in order to stash more money into savings, so we've been eating a lot of beans around here...haha! Really, though, I'm just taking a closer look at what we really NEED at the grocery store and what we just WANT.

Sally said... [Reply to comment]

Whoa! That price for ground beef? I didn't realize it was that expensive. You poor soul! You need a cow to butcher. I didn't realize what gold mine I have in the freezer.

Anyway, you did great, except I'm SURE you need some of Food Lion's California oranges, just like I got!

Candi said... [Reply to comment]

You did awesome! I just hope we can stay under budget the rest of the month. Wouldn't it be great if we could get used to spending $30 a week on groceries AND be able to get what we needed on that little???

Miriam said... [Reply to comment]

Sally, that is, unfortionately, the going price for that % of ground beef. I try to not buy it at full price unless we REALLY need it, which was the case this week. I hope to start buying beef and OJ concentrate in bulk at BJ's once Daniel gets his membership card (free from his boss), it's much cheaper there!

Candi - $30 is actually UP from our $25 budget that we had last year. I just did such a bad job of sticking to it the last month or so. With deciding to make a few changes in our eating habits, we had to up it a bit. We'll see how it goes - I'm hoping for success :)