Thursday, January 28, 2010

Weekly Grocery Trip 1/26/10

Today has really been a good day. The weather is beautiful and I have the laundry hanging out on the line, bread dough is rising in the oven, and I'm feeling great! It's amazing what going to bed earlier will do for a body :)

Here are the results of my grocery shopping on Tuesday. Kroger is having a Mega Event Sale this week. I had planned to get 10 items completely free, but they were out of the last thing I needed so I had to fill in the gaps with some other participating items (that I'd planned to get anyway). I was able to get 20 of the Mega Event items squeezed into my budget for almost free. I'm hoping that like usual, they run the same sale again next week so I can pick up a few more great deals.

* - Mega Event Item

*3 lbs. I Can't Believe It's Not Butter sticks - FREE
1 gal. Orange Juice - $2.50
1 gal. 1% Milk - $2.50
*(8) 8oz. bricks Kraft Cheese - $.49 ea.
*Green Giant Steamer - $.69
Salt - $.59
*(3) Hunt's Tomatoes - $.19 ea.
G2 Gatorade - $.10
*(2) Nature Valley Nut Clusters - $.49 ea.**
*(3) Quaker Quakes Rice Snacks - FREE
(2) 1.4 lbs 75/25 Ground Beef - $5.44 ($1.88/lb.)
(2) 5 pc. B/S Chic. Breasts - $11.58 ($1.88/lb.)
18 ct. Eggs - $2.37

Shelf Price - $84.77
Total OOP - $31.31
Saved - $53.46 / 63%

**The Nut Clusters should've been free, but one of my e-coupons that I had loaded onto my Kroger card did not come off :( That put me over my cash budget by $.04 and I did a "no-no" and pulled a nickle out of my wallet :P If I'd thought fast enough I would've put back the Gatorade and stayed within my cash limit, but I don't think $.04 this once is going to ruin our grocery budget ;)

I also want to go ahead and say that I don't normally buy "fake butter" or like to pay money for fat that I'm just going to drain off (that is some pretty fatty ground beef...). However, when the price is right (who can beat FREE?), or the freezer is empty (we were completely out of ground beef), I get whatever I can get that fits my budget. I still have 11 lbs. of REAL butter in the freezer that I bought for $1.50/lb over Christmas. We will use the "fake" stuff on our breakfast toast, etc. and that will allow us to save the real butter for cooking and baking. That's one way I'm frugal :)

And a cheese hint: Cheese has a loooong shelf life. I discovered that if I freeze the solid bricks it doesn't slice very well at all for Daniel's lunch sandwiches (freezing it makes it crumbly), so I just keep it in the back of the meat drawer in the refrigerator where I keep his lunch meat and cheese. I have 2 blocks left from the last sale, so I made sure to move them to the front so I will use the older ones first. What I bought this week is dated for May and June, so we have lots of time to use it up before it reaches the date. And if the date starts to get close, I'll just throw it in the freezer and use crumbly cheese :)

5 comments:

Sally said... [Reply to comment]

You did really, really good! I have loved the cheese so far, and I wish I had gotten more or all brick cheese instead of mostly shredded and just two blocks of brick cheese. I doubt I'll get all the same cheese coupons to use next week, even if they keep up that cheese sale.

Cate said... [Reply to comment]

Good to know about the cheese! We bought some on sale with a coupon today and I want to make sure to pick up another couple blocks before the sale ends...I was thinking about freezing it, but guess I won't if it'll get crumbly. I tend to forget how long cheese lasts in the fridge.

Jessica Preas said... [Reply to comment]

I had the crumbly cheese problem too. I would preslice the cheese and then freeze it.

Katie said... [Reply to comment]

Way to go! You got a ton of stuff! I have never frozen the blocks of cheese, but I always freeze the shredded cheese. It is nice to have on hand for pizzas and casseroles.

Candi said... [Reply to comment]

Great job with the groceries! I was so upset I forgot to get my $1 coupons for the butter and so I missed out on the freebie. You did really good...and I don't think $.04 is bad at all.