Thursday, January 21, 2010

Very Yummy Rice

One of my "In the Kitchen" Goals for 2010 is to try new recipes more often. This is one of my new recipes! It's simple, reasonably inexpensive (sorta - depends on how much you eat :P ), and quite delicious!! (And it makes a LOT!)


Very Yummy Rice

1/4 lb. (1 stick) butter - $.38 (sale)
1 huge onion, chopped fine - $.25
2 cups rice - $.56
2 cans beef consomme
*I used 28oz. of beef broth made with bouillon powder - $.12
8oz. sharp cheese, grated - $1.50
2 small cans mushrooms, with liquid - $1.58
1 cup toasted almonds
*I used 1/2 cup slivered - $1.79

Saute onion in butter. Add uncooked rice and simmer for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Mix all ingredients except almonds in a 9x13 baking dish. Bake at 325° for 1 hour. Stir in almonds before serving.

Total cost: $6.18

Like I said, it makes a lot, so depending on how many people you're serving, one pan could very easily do for 3 meals, making the cost per meal around $2. And, you could very easily leave out the almonds. My gracious, they cost an arm and a leg! I don't know how much flavor they add as much as they just add some nice "crunch."

This post is linked to Life As MOM's Ultimate Recipe Swap and The Grocery Cart Challenge Recipe Swap. Head on over to browse through more yummy recipes that are being linked up!!