Friday, September 19, 2008

Banana Nut Muffins

Angie has been after me for a long time to share this recipe, so I guess I will finally just sit down and do it :) Besides, it's Friday Recipe Swap over at Gayle's blog, so this will be a good one to share there, too. You can see more information on this recipe and using ripe bananas here.

Banana Nut Muffins
3 ripe bananas, about 1 1/2 - 1 3/4 cups, mashed
1 1/2 cups sugar
2 cups flour
3/4 cup butter, softened*
2 eggs
1 tsp vanilla
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp salt
1/2 cup milk + 1 1/2 tsp vinegar (or 1/2 cup buttermilk or sour milk)
3/4 cup walnut pieces

Mix and beat together all ingredients except walnuts, beating until relatively smooth (it stays a little lumpy). Stir in walnuts.

Spoon into greased or cupcake wrapper lined muffin tins. Bake at 350° for 30 minutes.
Makes 24 muffins.


*The butter issue... the first time I used cupcake wrappers, there was butter standing in the bottom of each muffin tin when I took them out. Since then I've made them once, and cut the butter back to 1/2 cup. They were still plenty greasy on the bottom, so I might try cutting it back some more and hope it doesn't mess up the recipe! They are VERY very VERY good muffins!! If you're a real nut fan and can afford it (ha ha), you can sprinkle the finely chopped walnut pieces on top of the muffins before you bake them for added nuttiness and crunch :)

5 comments:

Aliisa said... [Reply to comment]

From Aliisa:
These look great, thanks for the recipe!!

Mrs. X said... [Reply to comment]

These sound delicious. Thanks for sharing! :)

Liz said... [Reply to comment]

Yum! My daughter loves the ones you buy at the store. I will have to try these - they seem to be a much better option!

Anonymous said... [Reply to comment]

Hey Miriam, did you know that in most sweet breads and muffins you can cut the sugar back 25% without affecting the taste or texture? I tried it and it is true so far. I just thought I would share this for all us health nuts out there. Plus, you buy less sugar! Ted's family is diabetic on both sides so I try to keep my eyes and ears tuned to things like this. I don't know if you can prevent or stave off diabetes with watching your sugar ahead of time or not, but it makes us both feel like we are doing as much as possible within reason. I guess that would be a question for Sally.

Sally said... [Reply to comment]

As far as I know, Rachel, the "staving off" of diabetes is done by weight control and regular exercise (which causes the body to burn carbohydrates), but primarily by weight control. So, eating less sugar at least indirectly helps stave off diabetes because it helps you not gain as much weight from the food. Other than that, my advice to folks is, keep your weight down and enjoy every ice cream cone, every doughnut, every pile of mashed potatoes, and every bagel as long as you can (and still maintain a healthy weight). I sure am glad I ate as many ice cream cones as I did in my life!