Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Quiet Reflections on a Ride Home

This evening I attended a small women's dinner (not for small women, but for a small group of women!) hosted by a lady at church that I didn't really know. I was hesitant to go - I had ended up being gone pretty much all day unplanned, was tired, realized that the dinner was 1/2 hr sooner than I had thought so I was going to have to hurry to get ready to go... all those things that Satan will sneak and slide into our paths to make us think about stopping and not pressing on.

There were 3 other women there (4 counting the hostess), none of whom I had formally met before, or really knew. They go to our church, but are in the next generation above mine, so we aren't in the same circles really.

It was a wonderful time, and I truly was blessed to be there. On the way home, I had the radio on, and a hymn medley came on. It touched me right at the "God, I needed to hear this so much I want to weep" place in my heart. I wanted to share the lyrics with you.

O Love that will not let me go, I rest my weary soul in Thee;
I give Thee back the life I owe,
That in Thine ocean depths it's flow might richer, fuller be.
O Light that followest all my way, I yield my flick'ring torch to Thee;
My heart restores it's borrowed ray,
That in Thy sunshine's glow it's day may brighter, fairer be.
~~~
Love divine, all loves excelling,
Joy of heav'n, to earth came down;
Fix in us they humble dwelling;
All Thy faithful mercies crown.
Jesus, Thou are all compassion,
Pure, unbounded love Thou are;
Visit us with they salvation;
Enter ev'ry Trembling heart.
~~~
Spirit of God, descend upon my heart;
Wean it from earth; thro' all it's pulses move;
Stoop to my weakness, mighty as Thou art,
And make me love thee as I ought to love.
Teach me to love Thee as Thine angels love,
One holy passion filling all my frame;
The kindling of the heav'n descended Dove,
My heart an alter, and Thy love the flame.

2 comments:

Aliisa said... [Reply to comment]

From Aliisa:

Isnt it amazing when that kind of thing happens? I recently had a similar experience with a Natalie Grant song. Although I had heard it many times, one day it just hit me as though it were just pouring out of my heart. The song is called I will not be moved. You have probably heard it but here is the link to listen. http://www.myspace.com/nataliegrant
The lyrics are beautiful, here is the chorus:
I will stumble
I will fall down
But I will not be moved
I will make mistakes
I will face heartache
But I will not be moved
On Christ the Solid Rock I stand
All other ground is sinking sand
I will not be moved

Thanks for your post, it was a blessing!!

Sally said... [Reply to comment]

I'm really glad you went and were blessed by going--and on the way home. I especially like the first song, Andrew and I sang it night before last (just here at home). "Teach me to love thee as I ought to love" is a pretty big thought--who can tell how God ought to be loved?