Friday, December 18, 2009

Been Thinkin'

About changing my blog name. A couple weeks ago I signed up for Twitter. I signed up to follow #oamc (OnceAMonthCooking), which always sounds like a bunch of fun. It's basically a day where a lot of people cook and bake "together," all in their own kitchens, but visiting all day long with updates, questions, "hey, howsitgoing's" and whatnot via Twitter. Some blog about it, some Facebook about it, some do all three. And some people chat on #oamc even when it's not the specific cooking/baking day.

To sign up for Twitter I had to come up with a "screen name." I tried a ton of combinations and variations of my blog name, My Country Cupboard, but every one I tried was either already taken or too long. I ended up choosing HomeHomemade. (If you care to follow me on Twitter, you can find me under @HomeHomemade)

I thought it was a clever name. Everybody has a "home." Not everybody has a "homemade home." A lot of people do lots of home-makey things, but then there are those that homemaking is their #1 focus. Some homemakers do it with store bought frozen, prepackaged meals, store bought mixes, doughs, fillings, precooked meats, soup from cans (gross. Just sayin'), etc. But I'm a homemade kinda girl. I can't say that I never use mixes, or never wish I could pop a Stauffer's lasagna or a frozen pizza in the oven because I don't want to feel like cooking. But overall, I prefer good, old-fashioned, from-scratch, home-making. I don't sew all of my clothes, or even make my own laundry soap right now. I use my dishwasher like it's not going to be here tomorrow. But in all things general, I prefer the non-fru-fru, country, homemade, simpler way of life.

And I hope that comes through here at my blog. What I've been thinking about lately (sorry, I kinda took a really long rabbit trail to get to the punch-line) has been my blog title. I'm thinking about changing it from My Country Cupboard to Home Homemade. Not that my cupboards are any less country, or that I spend less time in them - they certainly aren't and I certainly don't! - but my blog doesn't focus solely on all things kitchen. I think the general overall themes of my posts are more "the whole home." I wonder how many times I can get the "h" sound in here? I wouldn't change the location of the blog, it would still be the same "blog," it would just have a different title.

So... that's what I've been thinkin' about. I haven't decided yet. Do y'all have any thoughts?

5 comments:

Phoebe @ GettingFreedom said... [Reply to comment]

I completely understand where you are coming from, and think it makes perfect sense. But you confused me when you said you weren't chaning the location--just the name. So are you planning/thinking on keeping it at the current URL, but change the title in your header? In that case, I would maybe not necessarily change the title, but maybe add a tag line with Home Homemade in it.

Cate said... [Reply to comment]

I like that idea.

I have similar issues with my blog name--I started out mostly discussing our budget, but branched out into all kinds of areas: decorating, simple living, frugal fun, recipes...I'm kind of attached to the name, though, so I think I'll keep it. :-) Anyway, always having one eye on the budget has led to the way we live at home, I guess.

Elizabeth said... [Reply to comment]

I like it!!

Sally said... [Reply to comment]

Hmmmm....I suggest waiting until after George comes. You might come up with something entirely different, like "Georgie Porgie, puddin' and pie". O.k., so maybe it wouldn't be EXACTLY that, but I'm sure that little baby is going to fill your heart and life to overflowing---and maybe even take up all the space on your blog!

Maria D. @ DownrightDomesticity said... [Reply to comment]

I am totally with you on the dishwasher thing. Sure, maybe handwashing saves water and electricity, but with the dishwasher, I ACTUALLY wash them!

I think that Home Homemade is an adorable name!