Monday, August 10, 2009

Simple Woman's Daybook, 8-10-09

For today: Monday, August 10, 2009

I am thinking... that I need to get back into blogging more often. I feel like I've really been slacking. I love to blog! Just haven't had alot of time to lately where my brain power has been up to it.

I am thankful for... Daniel only having a couple calls yesterday (the first HOT day in a long time) and I was able to get a short afternoon nap. For our pastor... he is amazing, and yesterday was the introductory sermon on the Gospel of John, which he will be preaching through on Sunday mornings now; it is going to be so good! For our garden and how the Lord has blessed us with overall good health of the plants and decent production from them. That He created flavors and taste buds when He created the world.

From my kitchen... eek! Don't look there. It is a mess. I have 5 quarts of tomato sauce on the counter, squash and zucchini's taking over another section of the counter, and stuff just piled hither and yon that needs cleaned/washed so I can make a mess all over again. There's also the stack of bills that came while we were gone, I need to go through it one of these days so I don't miss paying one on time.

I am going... to the garden, for one. Probably to Food Lion for eggs and maybe milk. Other than that, I don't know that I'll be going anywhere today.

I am reading... I just finished reading Teri Gault's Shop Smart, Save More; it was interesting and neat to see how many different things you can save money on just by buying them at the right time of year. I also got a new Taste of Home magazine (my mom gave me a subscription for Christmas) and have been pouring over that. I have a couple pages dog-eared for recipes to try :)

I am hoping... that I can get back on track with every day things better this week. Last week I squeaked by with flying by the seat of my pants and doing what was absolutely necessary. Having a garden will do that to ya.

I am creating... I just got a very good tomato soup recipe from my MIL. I might try canning some if I have enough tomatoes. You have to pressure can it, though, so I would have to borrow her pressure canner.

I am hearing... it is very quiet right now. So much so that the loudest noise is the clock on the wall going "tick...tick...tick...".

Around the house... Outside we have our "new" mama kitty. We noticed her last week and I befriended her with some of the free Kitten Chow that I got a while back. Then I noticed that she was nursing and found her kittens safely tucked away in our carport! She's still a little skittish around me, but comes up on the back steps to eat the food I put out for her every day. I'm not sure what or where she was eating before I started feeding her, she looked pretty thin. I can't wait for her kittens to get big enough to wander out and be played with! They are so cute :) Hopefully they will stick around this time. Just in case you're all wondering "what if she belongs to someone?!", we're pretty sure she's the offspring to the last mama cat we had that ended up liking the neighbors garage better than our shed, so technically... :P Inside the house... well, :D Like I said, I need to get more than the bare bones done this week. LOL.

A few plans for the rest of the week... Figure out what in the world I'm going to do with all the squash and zucchini that we're getting. It's more than we can eat fresh. I may just yank out some of the plants to get it more manageable. I might can some of the squash, and have thought about making massive batches of zucchini patties and freezing them so we can have them in the winter when fresh zucchini isn't available. Continue trying to convince our freakazoid dog that the Mama Cat is harmless and he doesn't need to bark and whine at her the whole time she's in his line of sight. THAT gets very old, very fast. It doesn't help her skittishness, either.

Aaaanddd... there ya go! Tillio!

1 comments:

Sally said... [Reply to comment]

Here's what to do with the zucchini and squash--bring in just what you are going to eat/cook/can right before you do it. Let all the rest out there, and it can re-fertilize the garden as it breaks down.