Thursday, August 20, 2009

Grocery Roundup: 8/19/09

Wow, summertime and running out of beef sure hike up the grocery bill! Even though I'm doing my best to get Gatorade/Powerade when it's on sale, it still adds up. (Yes, I know that the powdered mix is much cheaper. We tried it one summer and something about powdered drink mixes make Daniel sneeze. I know, it's weird, but it does :) )

From Kroger & WalMart: 8 Powerade - $.79/ea.
2 Betty Crocker Supreme Brownie Mix - $.74/ea.
Chex Mix bars - $.39
FiberOne Chewy Bars - $.79
Nature Valley Trail Mix Bars - $.59
Planter's Mixed Nuts - $3.98
3 Pillsbury Grands Biscuits (8 ct.) - FREE plus $.13 overage
Betty Crocker Fruit Shapes - $.29
Nature Valley Granola Nut Clusters - FREE
Baking Powder - $.99
Betty Crocker Warm Delights Bowl - FREE
6 Van Camps Pork & Beans - $.40/ea.
7.14lbs Peaches - $6.27 ($.88/lb.)
4.5lb. Bottom Round Roast - $9.40 ($2.09/lb, original price was $21.10)
1.5lb. Ground Sirloin - $4.01
18 ct. Eggs - $1.99
24 ct. 2% String Cheese - $5.58
White House Applesauce - $2.22
Marshmallows - $1.00

Shelf Price - $88.34
Total Spent - $49.12
Saved - $39.22 / 44% (doesn't include the markdown on the meat)

I was really tickled pink to find a couple coupons online that weren't listed on my grocery game list. One was for the Baking Powder. I'm almost to the bottom of the can I'm using now, and decided to hunt for a coupon. And found one! And one that would double, no less! I had trouble finding all of the e-coupons for the snack stuff that were supposed to be out there, but by going to alternate e-coupon sites, I was able to come up with every one, and even an extra one! It pays to do research and not just say "oh well, I guess I missed it" and pay more.

I don't know that I would've done the Kroger 10 Item Mix'n'Match deal except that the snacky items will be great to take along in my pocketbook for in-between-meal munchies. Those are pretty important to me right now, and they provide enough "umph" to tide me over till I can eat real food, and they were pretty cheap.

And the biscuits! I looooove Pillsbury flaky biscuits :) This is the first time since I started couponing that I've seen them cheap enough to merit buying instead of making homemade - they would've been $.29/can which is still just about as cheap as I can make a batch, but FREE is even better!!

Baby George still loves Applesauce and String Cheese. The string cheese is another good snack item that I can take with me if I'm going somewhere. The mixed nuts... they are expensive, but I wanted some to mix with the M&M's I loaded up on last week, along with some raisins, to make my own trail mix of sorts as another take-along snack option. It's probably more healthy/nutritious than commercial granola bars anyway.

Whew, being pregnant sure changes the whole way I look at food these days! While I don't specifically like the extra $$ it is costing, neither do I like being so hungry I think there's a hole growing in my back, or looking for a filling, quick nibble and there not being anything easily totable, or even easy to eat discreetly (kinda necessary in the middle of church...).

3 comments:

Sally said... [Reply to comment]

Welcome to the world of mothering, m'lady! Enjoy it! (I'm too tired to think of anything else intelligent to say, but I'm remembering the days.)

Cate said... [Reply to comment]

I had to eat constantly when I was pregnant, too, or else I felt unbelievably nauseous. I had hyperemesis gravidarum, which basically just meant I could hardly keep ANYTHING down (it got better after the first trimester, but I still felt sick a lot). I found that nibbling on candied ginger helped with the nausea, as did drinking Gatorade and just eating all the time. For the first time in my life I actually got tired of eating!

Maria D. @ DownrightDomesticity said... [Reply to comment]

A coupon for baking powder? Where do you find these things?? It's always so impressive to see how much you're able to knock off your grocery bill.

And congratulations on your pregnancy! I bet you're excited!