Tuesday, December 2, 2008

Sweet Potato Fries

A couple weeks ago I bought some honkin' huge sweet potatoes for $.39/lb. I had some vague ideas of what I wanted to do with them, but sweet potato casserole just isn't huge on my list. The one or two times a year I have it at a holiday function is about all I need. So last night I decided I needed to use up one of those babies sittin' on my counter.

I went to recipezaar.com and searched sweet potato fries. I think 52 recipes came up. Daniel and I looked through several and found that most of them had relatively common spices. So I went to the kitchen, cut up my huge sweet potato, sprayed them with cooking spray, and then "spiced" them.

I divided the fries onto 2 cookie sheets since it was alot for just one. One pan I used just salt & freshly ground pepper. The other cookie sheet I sprinkled with garlic powder, onion salt and some paprika.

I baked them at 350° for 10 minutes, stirred, 10 minutes more, stirred. Then I moved the temperature up to 400° and baked them for 10 minutes. Next time I think I'll stir them at 5 minutes since they were crisp on the bottom.

I liked the garlic/onion/paprika flavored ones the best even though they were both good, but I don't think I put on enough spices. Next time I think I will probably coat them a little better with a little olive oil maybe, and toss them in a bag with the spices instead of just sprinkling it on. I bet a little grated Parmesan cheese would taste good on them, too....

4 comments:

Sally said... [Reply to comment]

Ohhhh, that sounds so good! Enjoy them for me.

Liz said... [Reply to comment]

We love to slice sweet potatoes really thin and then make chips out of them. Just a little salt & they are perfect!

Halfmoon Girl said... [Reply to comment]

Oh, I love these fries. i am gonna try this recipe one night. Thanks for reminding me how yummy they are.

Anonymous said... [Reply to comment]

Try a little cumin in the spice mix.