Friday, October 24, 2008

Plantation Supper Recipe

After I posted this menu, several of you asked, "what is Plantation Supper?" Soooo, here it is! It is a very good recipe, it's really easy, quick, and very cheap. And my little secret? I double alot of the stuff and we have it for 4 meals. We'll have 2 meals this week, and I'll freeze 2 meals worth for another week. All this with 1 lb. of hamburger!! I love it :) It's very budget friendly :) I will post the original recipe, and then post "my version" of it as well.

Plantation Supper, Original Recipe
1 lb. ground beef
1/2 cup chopped onion
3/4 cup milk
1 can Cream of Mushroom Soup
1 (8oz) pkg. cream cheese
1 1/2 cups whole-kernel corn, drained
1/4 cup chopped pimento
8 oz. noodles, cooked
1 1/2 tsp. salt
dash pepper

Brown meat; add onion and cook until tender. Stir in milk, soup and cheese until well blended. Add remaining ingredients. Cook until heated through.

Plantation Supper, My Version (makes 4 meals for 2 people)
1 lb. ground beef
1 onion, chopped
2 cans Reduced Fat Cream of Mushroom Soup
1 (8oz) pkg Fat Free Cream Cheese
2 cans whole-kernel corn, drained
1 lb. macaroni, cooked
3 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. pepper

Cook noodles. While noodles are cooking, brown meat and onion, drain if desired. Add soup, cream cheese and corn, stir until well blended. Stir in drained macaroni, salt and pepper. Cook until heated through.

I have made the "original" recipe using the milk and the whole amount of cream cheese, but I didn't like how soupy/greasy/cheesy it was. And I leave out the pimento because I've never bought it and don't see a reason to buy it just for this recipe. I've never missed it!

5 comments:

Sally said... [Reply to comment]

Hmmm...how much does this taste like Texas Hash? That's the hamburger/noodles/tomatoes/kidney beans casserole that we had at home.

Miriam said... [Reply to comment]

Doesn't taste like Texas Hash at all.

Angie said... [Reply to comment]

I wrote this one down. (ran out of paper in the printer! BOO HOO!)

I'll be trying this. I think the kids and I will like it. Sounds similar to something I make. So I know we'll like it.

Hugs!

simple~needs said... [Reply to comment]

i am definitely trying this!

Anonymous said... [Reply to comment]

My granny would made it with sausage instead if beef...a yummy twist