Saturday, November 8, 2008

Saturday Happenin's

I realized today that I haven't blogged in a "long" time - in blog time, anyways. Here's a few of the reasons why:

Tuesday a neighbor called and asked if I could do some baking for her for today. Wednesday after church we went to WalMart so I could pick up the ingredients I needed. They did not have nary a pie tin in the store. I looked high and low and low and high. They had tin things on one end of the store, and tin things on the other end of the store (I hardly ever go to this WalMart so I wasn't familiar with their "non-grocery" layout). So I bought what I could and we went to Target - I wanted to get baseball card holders, and figured they would probably have pie tins. Nope. So then we went to another WalMart - I had to do some digging, but I found pie tins!! I've never been so happy to see them in my life.

Thursday Daniel's men's quartet was singing for the missions conference, so I went along for that and worked on my coupon-binder until they were done singing. Then we went to Dairy Queen and got blizzards to use my "birthday blizzard" coupon. When we got home I started cooking the bacon for the quiche that I would be making on Friday.

Friday morning I had babysitting at church for the Women's Bible Study from 9-12:15. That went pretty well, we only had 5 kids instead of the normal 9 or so. My MIL and I rode together since she works just a few buildings down from church, and she wanted to take me out for lunch afterwards. So we went to Applebees. Then she had errends to run... hmm, I didn't want to say anything about really needing to get home, I figured I'd just get home when I got home and bake as fast as I could. I got home at 3:30 and fired up the high-speed mixing/baking side of me and tore around the kitchen like a mad woman.

I mixed up the carrot cake first since it would need to cool before I could frost it. As soon as that was in the oven I mixed up the roll dough, then I put it in the bathroom with the bathroom heater on to help it rise faster. Then I whipped up the pie crusts for the 4 quiche. While they were baking I zoomed around grating cheese, chopping onions, sauteing the onions and mushrooms and getting all the filling things ready. There were periods where the oven sat empty and on for a couple minutes... Thankfully I had cooked the bacon Thursday night so it was all done and ready.

I got the quiche together, and then the roll dough was ready to shape. I shaped the rolls, then had to turn the oven off until the rolls were ready to bake. While I was waiting for them to rise I mixed up the cream cheese frosting for the carrot cake. I got done mixing it all up and knew it was "off". I re-read the recipe super-duper carefully and realized that I'd put in twice as much butter as the recipe called for. I rocket-launched Daniel off to the close Food Lion for another stick of cream cheese so I could right the wrong. As it turned out, we both liked the frosting with only 1/2 as much sugar, so once I added the "double" amount of cream cheese, it was done. Normally I can't stand the thick, gluey, sickeningly sweet, rubbery goop that cream cheese frosting is. This was smooth, creamy, fluffy and not so sweet you wanted to gag. Hmm, come to think of it, I usually have a terrible stomach ache from the sickeningly sweet smell of the frosting till I'm done mixing it - I didn't get one this time.

Anyway, I quickly frosted the cake while the rolls started baking. Then once the rolls were done I had to let them cool a bit before I could package them up. I started packaging up the quiche and the cake, and by that time the rolls were cool enough I could wrap them up. Then we zoomed off to deliver the goods: at 10:30pm :P These people were very gracious and said that they were going to be up till 11 and we could come whenever.

So today I've been cleaning up the tornado-like mess in my kitchen :) And Daniel is sanding the drywall mud in the dining room, and then he'll finish the final coat :) Once the kitchen is cleaned up, I need to pick up the living room some, and then hopefully start working on the window trim and get some of those painted. We're also hoping to get the primer coats on the dining room yet tonight!! Woohoo!

And I need a shower terribly. See y'all next week!

Oh, and I even managed to make an extra quiche (ham, onions, peppers & cheese) for our supper in there somewhere :) Daniel was really helpful on that one and chopped the onions and peppers for me.

8 comments:

momstheword said... [Reply to comment]

Hello! I came over from Phoebe's site. I use powdered milk in cooking too. In fact, as an experiment I mixed half a gallon of 2% milk with half a gallon of (very cold) powdered milk and our kids had no clue. They just figured I bought a different brand. They certainly didn't notice it in the cooking. Hope you've recovered from your busy day.

simple~needs said... [Reply to comment]

you have been busy, busy!!
the quiche sounds so good!!!
i like cream cheese icing too, but the sugra is way too much.. glad to hear i can cut it back without sacrificing the tase. :)
i cant wait to see the room when you are done painting. :)

Sally said... [Reply to comment]

Well, that makes me look like some laid back ol' granny--the way you tear around! Whew! I bet you were sweatin'!

I wish you lived closer--I would farm out some of my cooking for you. I have been making little quiches (in muffin tins) for our church's carry-in breakfast on Sunday all week long. One day the crusts. Last evening putting all the filling stuff together and in the shells, and then finally putting the liquid in a baking it this morning. A little here, a little there, I do get a little bit done!

Elizabeth said... [Reply to comment]

Wow! You have so much energy! And now, I'm craving quiche... mmmm...

Miriam said... [Reply to comment]

All your comments about my high levels of energy... should I mention that after Daniel left for his Men's Breakfast Saturday morning I rolled over and went back to sleep for a couple hours? I never even got out of bed to see him off... I was pooped.

Sally said... [Reply to comment]

Well, good for you! Rest those bones--or else you'll be a grouch!

Elizabeth said... [Reply to comment]

You deserve the rest after all that! We don't have a Kroger near us :( But maybe it's the same store? I shop at SuperOne.

Kim @ Homesteader's Heart said... [Reply to comment]

You should just let us all think that you are super woman lol. No need to confess the extra sleep lol. Great job on all your cooking. But like some others, now I'm craving quiche.
Blessings.
Kim