Wednesday, October 14, 2009

And the nightmare continues...

Anyone else on here 5'2", short-waisted and legged, and well-endowed in every area? If so, please tell me where and how you go clothes shopping!!

So we probably didn't hit up the best places to find maternity clothes (it was a last minute planned trip), the 2 places we did go (Kohl's and Target) yielded 2 pieces after trying on a million. In another couple weeks I'm going to not fit in my one skirt that I can still get around my expanding girth, and I'm not going to church naked. The only skirts I saw at either place were ones that my hiney would stick out the bottom. And the pants... I don't know who has such teeny, tiny, short butts!! Honestly! I put on a pair of jeans and the top of the jeans material in the back barely rides above mid-cheek! And if I bend over, the belly band ends up covering my tush while the actual jeans material goes lower and lower. I have to hike everything back up so it's not completely off my butt. Maybe my rear-end is just tall compared to the rest of me. I dunno.

One of my reasons for shopping is that I have 2 weddings to attend in the next month. And I literally have nothing suitable to wear. Unless I can still squeeze into the jeans skirt, but that's not very formal attire.

We ran out of time so we couldn't keep shopping, but we did get a nice pair of loooong black slacks, and I'll lop the ends off and hem them up if that's what I end up wearing. We found a nice top that went with them, and it fit really well... until I went to take it off and realized that if I put my arms out in front of me at all it was too small across the shoulders/armpits. So we tried the next size up, and it was just baggier with the same problem. I did get one top, but not really suitable for wearing with black slacks to a wedding. My problem with the tops is that they are all soooo long, or a cut that just didn't flatter my short bod at all. And I realize that as my belly grows, it'll take more material to cover, but seriously, alot of these things I could tie on a belt and call it a mini-dress.

Soooo.... I just placed an order online for several pieces of clothes. 1 dress, 3 skirts, 1 pair of jeans (that I think and really, really hope ARE the same brand and cut as the capris I have and LOOOOVE and fit really nicely) and a white blouse. And of course the dress is a sleeveless number so if it does indeed fit (crossing my fingers here!) I'll need to go sweater shopping, but that shouldn't be too hard. I don't expect every piece to fit, which is why I ordered several of the skirts. Hopefully one of them will and I'll have something to wear while I slowly get around to other places to try and add to my selection.

And I thought shopping for non-maternity clothes was hard. Now you know why you see me in the same thing time and time again. Because a) it's hard to find stuff that fits me and the budget, and b) what fun is it to shop when nothing fits?

Please don't take this as a whiny, boo-hoo, nothing fits, post. I might feel like that tomorrow morning, or in the next 15 minutes, but not at the current moment of writing this. Just exasperation that every woman on "Petite Top Model" was 5'7" or taller and a toothpick. Yeah right. Guess that makes me a midget or dwarf or something.

14 comments:

Sarah said... [Reply to comment]

Raising my hand!!! Yes, I'm 5'2"! Yes, I'm short waisted!

I bought a few things from Motherhood and liked them fairly well.

I also shopped online at Old Navy and really liked the stuff they had. I ordered a size larger because some of the stuff was really short. Many of the shirts I grew out of quickly because they just didn't cover my belly.

It's okay to have a whiny moment. =)

Jenn said... [Reply to comment]

You and me both, Miriam. I am 5' and have a very limited wardrobe. Pregnant or not. I remember a purple number I wore 2 months before my first. We went to Octoberfest and everyone called me Barney.

I wore leggings and hubbys button down shirts for the rest of that preg and the next two. I had one white blouse and navy pants that I wore from then on to anything that required "dress up".

Sally said... [Reply to comment]

Man, I feel sorry for you! It's really hard to find maternity clothes to buy. That's one reason I made/had made some jumpers.

One thing you might try, if you find a piece or two that fits, is Google the name on the tag and see if it gets you to that company, or more skirts/pants/shirts of the same brand that will fit.

I really hope you can find something! You have a ways to go yet, and sheets are so annoying to wear!

Sally said... [Reply to comment]

Oh, here's a p.s. If you get get really, really desperate, you could make yourself a pattern off something that fits well and make another one or two. Yeah, it's work, but I've done it before. Ask me in another week (not this one) and maybe I can do some of that for you, if you need it.

Miriam said... [Reply to comment]

Sarah - Motherhood is exactly where I shopped at online lastnight! LOL! They make the brand of capris I have, so I'm hoping other stuff is similarly sized.

Jenn - LOL, leggings/sweatpants or some kind of warm something to wear on the bottom is on my "next to find" list. These cold mornings are reminding me what I don't have (yet!!!!).

Cate said... [Reply to comment]

I absolutely hated shopping for maternity clothes! I had these two dresses that just ballooned around me and I despised them. I practically lived in Old Navy maternity jeans with maternity tanks. (When it was still cold--my baby was born in June--I wore non-maternity cardigans, unbuttoned, over the tanks). I actually bought a couple non-maternity empire-waist dresses from both Target and forever21 that were PERFECT. Comfy, soft, casual, and totally big enough to cover my belly even at 37 weeks. I just purchased a size up to account for the fact that they weren't maternity.

So...good luck!

Meghan said... [Reply to comment]

I went to Motherhood Mat. too and JCPenney. I ended up wearing my regular t-shirts and sweatshirts around the house. I also only bought a weeks worth of clothes. I had a pair of black pants that were made of lycra that I wore everyday and everywhere. I dressed for comfort and in a few months you'll be able to dress normally : )

JeannaMO said... [Reply to comment]

My oldest daughter is 21 so its been a long time ago that was I've been pregnant, BUT my dear mother and I found some jeans that I liked (like at thrift stores and garage sales or were "fading fast") and she cut out the front and sewed in a maternity panel using some stretchy material. It worked like a dream! Then I saved them for when I was pregnant the next time.

Just a thought. But it would work for skirts too!

JeannaMO

Katie said... [Reply to comment]

Best of luck clothes shopping Miriam! I hear ya, clothes shopping is already such a chore, shopping for maternity clothes has to be quite a challenge. Hang in there, I bet you'll find some great stuff soon :)

Lucy said... [Reply to comment]

I agree with you about not being able to find clothes that fit short legged, waisted, etc. people. It is soooo hard to find a pair of pants these days!!! I was lamenting over this last week to some of my friends. Of course, they are all tall and normal sized people. Grrr!!!

Rachel said... [Reply to comment]

Ladies, there is no such thing as "normal" size people. What is "normal" size anyway? I am not tall or short, super skinny, well-endowed, or thick and there is still only one brand of jeans I can wear in one size and one cut. I have to order them through one certian store. And when I went to order a few weeks ago, guess what? The cut I needed was no longer available in the size I need because according to the manufacturer, there are not enough people in that size to merit making that cut option. Soo, I got to search through their order book to try and find the most similar cut in the right size. Fortunately there is a dear lady there who bends over backwards to help me find the right one and interpret all the codes and numbers. So I don't think anyone needs to feel as if they are not normal, because I don't think normal exists. And I recently read some articles on how clothing models are starting to rebel and refuse to be an unhealthy weight because it is damaging to society to portray normal as a starving, underdeveloped twenty-five yearold.

Georgi said... [Reply to comment]

I am very short and I have found that shopping on line is the elast painful method of shopping. Good luck finding the clothes you need to get through your pregnancy, its not fun if you don't feel good about your self.

Unknown said... [Reply to comment]

I'm 5'1 and a little, um...voluptuous lol. I bought two pairs of these jeans and wore them the duration of my pregnancy: http://www.motherhood.com/Product.asp?Product_Id=981010056&MasterCategory_Id=MC6 They're more expensive than I'd like to pay, but they are far more expandable than most other jeans, so they can be worn for your entire pregnancy rather than replaced every two or three months. If you spend $25 every two months on two pair of jeans for nine months, you're paying easily over $200 on jeans alone. These will just cost you $60 for two pairs that will last you the whole time.

I also lived in MM tops, too. They are VERY well made and stand up to almost anything. I am 60" tall and was 57" around my belly at my biggest and never had issues with the jeans or tops. I wish I could still wear them, in fact, lol!

Also--my goodwill carries these jeans and sells them for $3.50/pair. Just an idea!

Tricia@onceamonthmom.com said... [Reply to comment]

Hello! Thank you for writing this! Everybody may look at is as an asset but they have apparently never tried to find a nice pair of jeans.

I like many others (who are pregnant and 5'2) shopped at Motherhood Maternity. I also found this online store when I was looking for something to wear to a blogging conference. They have PETITE MATERNITY sizes! They are a bit pricey on some items though.

Good Luck.