Tuesday, October 27, 2009

22 Weeks

Today I am 22 weeks! Wow, it's hard to imagine!

Here I am Sunday night at 21 weeks and 4 days. And here is Baby as he or she appeared on Monday. Finally a head shot :) 2 Friday's ago (roughly 1 1/2 weeks ago) Baby George measured to weigh 11 ounces. BabyCenter says that at 22 weeks the baby is about 11 inches from head to toe, and weighs almost a pound. His lips, eyelids and eyebrows are becoming more distinct, and tooth buds are developing underneath the gums :) The eyes are formed, but the irises (the colored part) still lack pigment. His skin is very wrinkly and the pancreas is steadily developing.

I'm feeling overall very well, I think. I've been sleeping pretty well the past several nights, and my hips haven't been bothering me as much as they did a couple weeks ago. I've also upped my chiropractor visits to once a week. My hips still get out of whack some and that really helps them feel better and be back where they are supposed to be.

One thing I've noticed that is a bit "strange" to me is that sometimes my belly feels tight, or I feel like if I could "just unbutton my pants" I'd feel better... but of course that's not an option, or the reason behind the discomfort, since I have on stretchy-waisted clothes! I guess it's just a combination of the baby and my uterus growing in a way that is completely new to my skin and body.

So far I haven't had any heart-burn or reflux! Hopefully I'm not jinxing myself, haha. I know people who were experiencing it already at this point, and other people who never had any trouble the whole pregnancy. I'm hoping for the latter, of course :)

I think the water-induced throwing up may be behind me. I haven't had any issues for several weeks. Of course I'm also being careful to not just chug down a glass of water if I haven't eaten anything, too. I'm a bit anxious about the next appointment when they'll do the sugar test and I'll have to drink "the stuff." Dr. D did tell me (and I haven't mentioned the water thing to her) that I could eat something like an egg for breakfast, but to not have bready or sugary things before I go in. I plan to at least eat an egg, so hopefully that will calm down the stomach acid enough to not react to liquid.

I'm really happy with my Dr. She has great bed-side manners, is willing to explain things or answer any questions, but she also doesn't lolly-gag around and gets straight to the point. I think my favorite "Dr" moment so far was the first time we listened to the baby's heartbeat. The look on her face and expression in her voice was amazement and awe - which really meant a lot to me coming from someone who delivers babies every day!

4 comments:

Meghan said... [Reply to comment]

The heartburn thing might be a good thing. : ) I had it and consumed many Tums. Their is an old wive's tale that heartburn means your child has hair on it's head. Mine did...lots! Who knows, but you definetly are not missing out when it comes to the wonderful acid reflux and heartburn! Lucky!

Cate said... [Reply to comment]

You should be fine eating a little bit before your glucose test, and it really doesn't taste so bad. Like you, I had hunger-induced nausea, and my appointment wasn't until late afternoon, so I ate bacon and eggs as a late breakfast and was fine. My mom supposedly ate chocolate cake for breakfast before her glucose test, not knowing to avoid sugary things, and her test turned out fine, too, so you should be okay. :-)

Halfmoon Girl said... [Reply to comment]

Catching up over here... I don't seem to get as much blogging time as I used to...

You look great- brings back memories of being pregnant with my first.

Jenn said... [Reply to comment]

Unlike Meghan ... my babies did not have hair. One was completely bald and one had a little hair and one had more than a little .... lol. Heartburn was how I knew I was pregnant. I kept liquid Maalox in the fridge and drank shots everytime I walked by.

Glad to hear you are feeling good. Love the bump!!