Friday, November 27, 2009

Thanksgiving Day Feasts

Yes, plural. FeastS. It was such a wonderful day yesterday. The first time in a long time that Daniel and I actually had time to sit down and eat breakfast together without having to rush so we could leave in a hurry for somewhere.

I had a couple ideas for our Thanksgiving Breakfast, but Wednesday afternoon settled on my last one. I wanted to surprise Daniel, so I didn't tell him what it was, only that I was really excited about making breakfast! Since I knew we were going to sleep in, and that such a feast could take a while to prepare, I mixed up several of the dry ingredients Wednesday night, put them in bowls on the counter with a sticky-note on the lid of what they needed to finish. It cut probably 15 minutes from my time on Thursday.

Our special Thanksgiving Breakfast:
Country Fried Steak
Biscuits & Sausage Gravy
Eggs
Baked Apples
Skillet-Baked Cornbread
Daniel really likes Cracker Barrel's "Grandpa's Country Fried Breakfast", and when I remembered I had some very thin round steaks in the freezer, I KNEW that's what I had to make (minus the grits - I don't like grits and just don't buy or make them). We loved it! We sat down to eat around 9:30, and breakfast stuck to our ribs (and probably arteries) for several hours. In fact, we didn't have lunch at all. Just nibbled on the Oatmeal Raisin Cookies that I made Wednesday, and the leftover cornbread. I *HEART* cornbread - I don't know why I don't make it more often.

Thanksgiving Afternoon we were both busy with each of our projects for the day - which I will be posting about later.

I wanted supper to be a special meal, too, so we had steaks that I'd gotten on markdown. I consulted Daniel on how he wanted them fixed, and he voted to marinade them in some A-1 Chicago Steakhouse Marinade (that I got for super cheap this summer) and then broil them in the oven. We thought about using the George Foreman, but they were not even thickness and he thought the oven would work better.

Our Thanksgiving Supper:
Steak
Mashed Potatoes
Baked Corn
The steaks were HUGE. We really enjoyed them, though, and we both cleaned our plates! Later in the evening we did have the traditional Pumpkin Pie, with Cool Whip. Daniel laughed at the huge dollops of Cool Whip I put on our slices of pie, but he agreed - it was Thanksgiving Day and we should eat however much Cool Whip we wanted!

We had such a great day yesterday. Daniel probably got tired of hearing me say it, but it was SO nice to have a whole day at home with just him. Even though we were both working on our projects, just the opportunities to see each other and talk throughout the day and just spend time together was fabulous. But all good things come to and end... he is back to work today, and tomorrow is yet another Saturday of being away from home and socializing (a family reunion).

One of the highlights yesterday was that before we got out of bed in the morning, Baby George was being quite active, and Daniel was able to feel several strong kicks (or elbow jabs, or whatever). I loved seeing the look on his face :) Most of the time I can't feel the movements on the outside, so Daniel doesn't get to feel our baby moving around near as much as I do, but yesterday morning was certainly an exception!

I had such a wonderful Thanksgiving spending the day with the 2 people most important to me: My husband and our baby :) We are so blessed. I often stopped throughout the day to just think of things I was thankful for. The Lord is so good to us!

6 comments:

Unknown said... [Reply to comment]

Sounds like an awesome day together! I get excited too, when Hubby has the day at home.

Feeling Baby's kicks on the outside will soon be a regular occurance!

Katie said... [Reply to comment]

Your Thanksgiving sounds like ours. For once we just stayed put, it was sooo nice to just spend time with the hubby and not be rushing around. Good looking food by the way, now I'm hungry for my leftovers but it's not quite lunch time.....

Sally said... [Reply to comment]

I'm glad you all had such a great Thanksgiving day. I think all your special food was great! I think we might need to come spend Thanksgiving with you next year!

Cate said... [Reply to comment]

I think it's neat that you didn't have the traditional Thanksgiving dinner--do you dislike those dishes, or did you just want to change things up a bit? Anyway, I think it's great that you bucked tradition and ate what you wanted. :-)

Miriam said... [Reply to comment]

Cate, we both enjoy the traditional "turkey, stuffing, mashed potatoes, etc" meal, but with just the two of us, I didn't feel like making one :) I did wish I'd thought ahead enough to make some stuffing to go with the steak dinner - I LOOOOVE stuffing (or dressing :P ). I know we'll have the traditional meal at least once during the Christmas holiday get togethers, so we won't miss out completely. The steaks themselves were a real treat as we hardly ever spend the money for steaks :)

Lucy said... [Reply to comment]

Those meals looked SCRUMPTIOUS!!! I had forgotten about baked corn! I'll have to make some soon!! And cornbread is great! I'm glad you guys had such a great Thanksgiving. Oh, and just an FYI, the "I *HEART*____" is not cool in my opinion. It is overused, abused and just annoying! Just thought I'd share. :D