Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Getting A Good Habit Going

Jessica (better known as FishMama) over at LifeAsMom started a new challenge last week. One that I read about, thought "what a great idea!" and went on my merry way. I toyed with the idea of joining in, and after yesterday morning's MOPS speaker spoke on time management, I've decided to officially take the plunge.

I don't have any "keepin it real" pictures to share, but here's the new habits I want to get going (again) during November:

~ Go to bed earlier! My new "in bed by" time is 10:30 (meaning "no later than" so I really could go to bed anytime before that...). Last night was the first night and I was headed to bed by 10:40... it was 11 till I actually crawled between the sheets, but that's still a whole half hour to an hour sooner than I can easily let my self stay up. My hoped for result of going to bed earlier is that I will feel more rested for the next day and not have to take as many or as long of a nap... and therefor be able to accomplish my next item:

~
Complete my "To-Do" list each day. Yesterday the MOPS speaker talked about making sure you don't over-fill your list, making it impossible to get everything done in the time frame you have to work with. I think I'm pretty good in that department. Yesterday, believe it or not, I was able to cross out ev.er.y sing.le i.tem on my list!! It was later in the day since I was gone all morning and had a rather significant nap in the afternoon, but by 9:30 I'd even gotten the floor washed, taken a walk AND done my Bible Study!! (Sadly those 3 have been getting pushed back over and over again.) My hoped for result of this habit will be that A) the house will be cleaner (duh) and B) the transition from SAHW to SAHM will be smoother. And for kicks, C) if I get all these things done, I should have plenty of time to do the extra things that need done to be ready for our little Bambino's arrival :)

~ Menu Planning. I like having a menu plan, but I can be a hard-core procrastinator. My goal with this one is to plan the NEXT week's menu so that I can grocery shop for NEXT week THIS week (to fill in the cracks for the odd things I might not have a supply of). I also want to start working on some freezer meal plans so that come January I can spend some time filling our deep freeze with MRE's (Meals Ready to Eat) to use in March. The no-brainer result of this will be not having to scramble at 5:00 or 5:30 to throw together something for supper. I have done this before, I just rolled off the wagon somewhere back there and haven't made an effort to jump back on.

I'd like to invite/encourage any of you to check out FishMama's challenge and join us! Especially if your one of my MOPS-mates... I think this goes hand in hand perfectly with what Anita was teaching yesterday! Leave me a comment if you decide to join, I'd love to hear (or read if you post about it) about what your "Good Habit" goals are :)

4 comments:

FishMama said... [Reply to comment]

Love it that you call them MREs! I'm sure they taste better than the traditional ones!

Great goals - I think that bedtime one is probably the key to all the rest.

Elizabeth said... [Reply to comment]

Great list!! You can do it!!

But do NOT be hard on yourself for your daily naps, okay? As you get further along, you're going to feel the urge to nap more and more and that's okay. Your body is running a marathon on a constant basis. There's a reason you're tired :) Today, you built a lung. Tomorrow, you're adding the finishing touches on a blood vessel. It's a lot of work assisting God in such a wonderful miracle!!

And honestly, by my 8th month with Zaden, I was sleeping 12 hours at night... and napping 4 hours a day. Thankfully, Jason works at home and was more than willing to take the kids off my hands while I grew him another one ;)

Sally said... [Reply to comment]

You are really blessed, Elizabeth! I was just dog-tired for 2 1/2 years and didn't even know it until I stopped nursing Hannah.

The good habits I want to get going--go to bed sooner, get up sooner and get my exercising and shower done before the kids wake up! Now, for some reason, that is hard for me to do. I usually end up getting just the exercising done before they get up, and then am showering around 10:00, which really shoots the morning. Plus, I am a wreck of a sight for whoever comes to the door before then--and that has happened plenty.

Sally said... [Reply to comment]

Oh, I wanted to share a tip I got from a professor when I was in college and struggling to stay above water. Make a list each day, cross things off as you do them. And, at the end of the day, tear up the list and throw it a way, regardless of what is left undone. You start brand-new each morning. It really helped me cope.