Tuesday, February 26, 2013

Little Bits and Pieces

Susannah has recently turned into quite the little mama to her baby.  She even has the whole "jiggle the baby on your hip" thing down, which is cute to watch and wonder who she learned it from since I'm not a baby "jiggler" (hey, I have enough jiggly places, I don't NEED to stand around jiggling!).

Last week I did a bunch of work in Susannah's room, rearranging her dresser and then moved in her little table and chairs.  Since she now has a nice, big window in her room that lets the light POUR in (I love it!), she likes to spend time in there reading or coloring.  It's nice to have the crayons and coloring books off the dining room table!

On Sunday, Sylvia refused to drink goat milk for the first time.  She has been self-weaning since about the 1st of February and is down to just nursing the 1st feeding of the day.  I was weaning her to goat milk (you can read why we were weaning to goat milk and not cow milk here) and she made the switch just fine. I don't know the sudden reason for her stopping liking it, but she is very happy to drink water.  Since goat milk from the grocery store is $4/quart, our wallet is not complaining at her choice.  She eats plenty of other dairy products and good-fat foods, so I'm not too worried about it.

Sunday morning we got to church and I was getting Sylvia out of her car-seat.  As I was standing up with her in my arms, she leaned over my arm and out shot a huge, projectile-vomit burp.  She straightened up, gagged and her stomach heaved out another huge projectile vomit.  It splattered all over the side of the car, in the car on the seat (YAY for leather seats!!!), and blasted the side of the diaper bag.  Somehow this is not the first time that Sunday-morning vomit-burps have happened (for her or Susannah).  You just do what you gotta do, then, and move on!  After wiping up the car as best we could with paper towels from a bathroom, we left the windows cracked and the diaper bag in the trunk.

Sunday afternoon I had to pick up my grain order and on the way home from that noticed the car making a noise.  On the way to church for the evening service it was more pronounced, enough that I pulled over into a driveway to make sure a tire wasn't getting ready to burst or something.  Daniel drove it home from church (he drove separately for practice) and he determined that a bearing in one of the hubs was going bad.  Yesterday on his way home from work he stopped and picked up a new one (and a little more expensive than the one he'd just replaced not 2 years ago!) with a 3 year warranty.  After supper he went out in the cold night, tore the wheel apart and replaced it.  A test drive proved the problem fixed.  I'm proud of my husband and appreciate his diligent work and knowledge to tackle and fix our vehicle issues, the savings are enormous.

Life is not dull around here, but right now it is quiet as the girls nap. :)  I should go get my cup of tea and work on it before the afternoon gets too late and the caffeine keeps me up when I should be in bed!


Kelly said... [Reply to comment]

Lily has started carrying her baby on her hip too. It is so cute. It really is amazing (and scary sometimes!) how much little ones pick up from their parents.

Ugh, vomit isn't fun at all! There is a stomach virus going around super bad here in AL and we just keep praying that we don't get it.

How awesome that your husband could fix the car! It's such a blessing to have a "Mr. Fix-It Husband!" :)