Wednesday, June 6, 2012

Susannah ~ Going To Work


This afternoon before her nap, Susannah had some of her food toys and asked me to make a sandwich (or, "faddich" as she says) for her.  Then she wanted it on a "pate" so I gave her a plate.  The she was walking around holding her "sandwich" saying what sounded like "work" over and over.  I was puzzled.

Then she asked for a bag.  A bag?  What is she thinking about?  I offered her a plastic grocery bag; that was not "it".  I thought maybe she wanted a little cloth bag that I have so I asked her if that was "it", but no, it wasn't.  Then she said "little bag" ("nihya bad").  A little bag?  What little bag?

The only "little bag" I could think of that we have are the fold-top sandwich bags.  A sandwich bag.  OF COURSE!!  She wants a sandwich bag!  I pulled one out of the drawer and yes, that was the RIGHT bag.

She put her sandwich in the sandwich bag and I folded the top shut for her.  Then she started walking around, holding her sandwich bag saying "work, work".

"You're going to go to work?"
*grin* "Yes. Work, work."

I'm not sure how often she has seen me make Daniel's sandwiches and put them in baggies for him to take to work, because he rarely leaves late enough for her to be awake when that happens, but I guess at some point she's seen it happen and had the idea to imitate!

This is just another {very cute!} reminder that she is absorbing EVERYTHING she sees and hears, and won't hesitate to imitate our words or actions.

5 comments:

Kelly said... [Reply to comment]

That is so sweet! It is amazing (and sometimes scary!) how much children pick up on!

Davene Grace said... [Reply to comment]

This is so sweet! I'm glad you were able to figure out what she wanted...also glad you were able to write it down so the sweet memory can be preserved! :)

Lori said... [Reply to comment]

Darling! This brings me back to when the children were small. I loved the way you described the way she said the words.

Cate said... [Reply to comment]

Oh, she is so precious! It's amazing what they pick up, isn't it?

Karina said... [Reply to comment]

That is an adorable story. It's amazing what children learn just by watching.