Friday, June 15, 2012

My Full Hands

Earlier this week we had a piece of mail that needed to be mailed for next day delivery.  Of course you can't just walk to the mailbox, put your letter in, put the flag up and leave a sticky-note for the mail-lady to send it "next day".  :-)  We had to take a trip to the post office.

Running errands by myself with both girls is usually not a big deal.  It can be, but I try my best to keep it from being that (mostly by keeping errands to a bare minimum!).  When we do have to run errands, we just make the best of it and it is what it is.  It takes a little longer, a little more patience, a watchful eye and the art of juggling.

When it is just the girls and I, whenever we are walking anywhere (most of the time) I am carrying Sylvia in her car-seat and I have Susannah hold on to the other side of the car-seat handle (because my other arm/hand is usually full of diaper bag, wallet, etc.).  Then we slowly make our way to wherever we're going.  On this day, that mean into and back out of the Post Office.

We had a good time in the post office, Susannah was well behaved and for the most part kept both hands on Sylvia's seat (what she is to do when I have to use both hands to do something).  I did have to tell her to not lie on the floor; I'm not sure where that idea came from!!

On the way out of the Post Office, we had to cross the parking lot to get to our car.  Another car was pulling into the parking lot and the gentleman stopped so that we could cross in front of him (a kindness I really appreciate when it is obvious to the person that we aren't going to just dash across really quick!).  After we were across, he pulled into a spot close to our car as I was getting Susannah into her seat and buckled up.  I nodded to him in thanks for his courteousness, and he commented in return "You have your hands full, don't you?"

Even though he did not say it rudely, it took me by surprise a bit.  I stuttered back something like "Yes, but it's good!"  I really don't think he meant any ill meaning at all, just commenting that I had my hands full, and he was correct - I did have my hands full!!

However, a split second after I replied, I wanted to say "Just wait till you see me in a couple more years when hopefully I'll have TWICE this many kids!!"  :-)  I didn't say that, though.  The rest of the way home I mulled over the situation and thought of different replies I could give in the future when similar situations arise. 

I think one reason the comment caught me off guard a bit is that with 2 children, I don't expect to get comments like that.  Those are the kind of comments that I think larger families would get.  I suppose that since I would like to keep adding to our family I should probably get used to the idea of strangers commenting on how full my hands are.

Right now, with "just" two, yes, my hands ARE full and I love it!

~We don't have specific plans for how many children we will have.  Right now we do want to have more, but we don't know what "more" means.  :-)

7 comments:

Karina said... [Reply to comment]

I too am always shocked to hear a family of 5 (or smaller) referred to as small. To me a large family means you need a minivan or an suv to haul everyone around. If you think about it, a family of 4 have only replaced themselves for the next generation. It's that 3rd child + that starts to make the next generation a larger quantity.

Kelly said... [Reply to comment]

I get that all the time too! I don't know if it's cause they are all so little, or what. I can never think fast enough to say something funny in return though - I usually just say, "I sure do, but I love it!" :)
I cracked up about you having to tell Susannah not to lie on the floor! Sounds exactly like what I have to tell Lily :)

Anonymous said... [Reply to comment]

I think he probably meant you literally had your hands full with 2 littles and two hands :-) I always think that when I see moms with just 2 who are still very little and need a lot of care/supervision. Please don't take his joke as an offense. Now... When you get to baby #4 and people start asking if you know "what causes that" you have my permission to trip them :-)

Miriam said... [Reply to comment]

@Anonymous Oh, I was not offended at all by his comment! He wasn't making a joke or rude remark at all. I had just never had anyone make a comment before this that referenced the number of children we have, so it took me by surprise. :)

Katie said... [Reply to comment]

Maybe seeing you with your little ones made him reminisce about when his kids were little :) Thankfully he didn't say it in a rude way. I can't wait to see you in a few years with more kids either, you are a great mama! (I guess I should say read about you instead of "see" you since I only know you through blog-land!)

Sally said... [Reply to comment]

Children are such a blessing! I'm glad you're not paralyzed with two small kids and get out and get around. Believe me, it gets easier (in many ways) when you have more, because the older ones are older and can help. I do way, way more with 4 than I did with two. Sure, there are no words to describe how busy and tired I am, but I love my kids and my life is easier than when I just had 1 or 2. And, when strangers comment that I'm busy or have my hands full, I smile and agree with them. It is true! What grates on me is the rare occasions people make comments that indicate they wish I didn't have my kids along with me.

Anonymous said... [Reply to comment]

I read a book by a mom of four little ones who said she'd always reply, "Yes, my hands are full--of good things!" I like that.