Friday, March 25, 2011

Spring Cleaning: Kitchen Edition

I am giving in to my deep desire to give the house a thorough Spring Cleaning, and am starting today, with the kitchen. I'm not sure how long or how far I'm going to get, but I'm starting out with great intentions and high expectations!

I took these pictures yesterday before I did any general, daily clean-up, so it doesn't look the same today (actually a little better!). Missing is also the wall where I was standing to take these pictures - which is what we call "The Island" that really isn't an island - it is the hot spot for collecting "stuff". If I make it far enough to take "after" pictures I'll be sure to include it :)




My list of what I want to get done between today and tomorrow:

Saturday noon-time update: Still going strong! I think I can finish up today :)
  • Dishes: Wash, dry & put away
  • Counters: Move and wipe off/under everything
  • Wipe & dust trim and ceiling fan
  • Wipe & dust cupboards (outsides)
  • Clean off and wipe down refrigerator (outside)
  • Clean out and wipe down inside of cupboards (upper)
  • Clean out and wipe down inside of cupboards (lower)
  • Clean microwave inside and out
  • Clean oven/stove inside & out (including polishing the glass-top)
  • Wash and disinfect trashcan
  • Clean out, wipe out and organize under sink
  • Wash and disinfect dish drainer/drainboard and sinks
  • Clean out from under stove
  • Pull out refrigerator and clean under/behind, sweep off coils (??)
Saturday night update: I only have the floor and windows to do, but for now I'm going to bed.
  • Pick up, vacuum, wash floor and apply grout sealer
  • Wash Windows (I can't believe I forgot this one...)
  • Wash light fixtures

I'll be stopping back by occasionally to cross things off as I get them done. I have the list pretty much in execution order. It's a long list so I'd best get crackin'! Maybe I should put on some peppy music to clean by...

Do you spring clean? I have never officially done it - at least as the chief homemaker. Please share any tips, tricks or experiences you might have!

7 comments:

Amanda said... [Reply to comment]

Oh my goodness, my kitchen looks so similar to yours with all the stuff everywhere! I hope to tackle about all the same items this weekend you have on your list. Good Luck!

Sally said... [Reply to comment]

I don't know how you survive! Of course, sometimes I don't know how I survive when my kitchen looks like that. Press on, my friend, press on. You'll be glad in the end.

My tip: Deal with things! Do not move the pile, throw it out or put it in it's proper place, or return it to the person that it belongs to!

Candi said... [Reply to comment]

Ugh! Cleaning is not my favorite thing. The funny thing is I used to clean apartments for a living. Guess I used up all my "cleaning skills" then. I literally RAKED out the kids rooms yesterday. I was horrified! They look very neat and clean today though. Very happy about that. I'm working on the bathrooms and our bedroom today and tomorrow. I'm so not looking forward to it!

Miriam said... [Reply to comment]

@Sally LOL, Sally, in the pictures it looks alot worse than it really was. The dirty dishes were all big things that didn't take very long to clean up (leftover from making supper the night before), and the other random stuff just needed put back where it came from. :P

Sally said... [Reply to comment]

I keep checking back here to see what you have crossed off. I'm so glad you can tackle this. I'm sure you'll be one "satisfied customer" pretty soon! The only thing that would be better would be if I was there helping you. When I get in a cleaning/decluttering gear, I just want to keep going on and on and on!

Sally said... [Reply to comment]

I see you are almost there!

Sally said... [Reply to comment]

I am SO looking forward to the after pictures. You might have to take some pictures of some areas right away (before you have the whole thing done) so we can see the freshly cleaned stove top, etc., before you use them and they get specks on, or whatever. The state of clean is so temporary! (At least at my house.)