Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Peas!!

Yay!! Yesterday when I was out in the garden I noticed that the peas looked mighty close to being ready to start picking. So I checked a pea - and ate the contents! - and they were ready.

The weather has been nice with random thunderstorms throughout the day and night the past couple days, and today was no exception. This morning it was raining with occasional lightening, so I didn't want to go into my garden which is full of metal! Mid-morning the rain stopped and I went out and picked. It is a major, major jungle out there! Most of the pea vines are probably 6' tall, and the rows intertwined with each other. But they are doing well and I praise the Lord!

It took me about 1.75 hrs. to pick, but I did come in several times because I had bread rising and baking.


Susannah was fascinated with the peas! After lunch I planned to shell them right away, and after thinking about it a moment I knew it would be more stressful for both of us if I tried to do it anywhere but on the floor. So I sat on the floor and shelled peas, tossing the empty pods into a pile - on the floor *gasp* - and Susannah had fun playing with the full and empty pods. Once I had one bucket emptied the empty pods went into a bucket.

Susannah was very happy watching and occasionally would shell a pod or two. I would open the pod and pull the 2 halves apart, and she would pick off each pea and drop it into my bowl one at a time. It took me about 1 1/4 hrs. to shell them all, and when we were done we picked all the
empty pods up off the floor.

Picking peas is not for beauty pageant contestants.
I did brush my hair this morning!
In the end we had about 1 1/2 quarts. Enough for a meal and I'll either share some or freeze them.
Yum :)

5 comments:

Cate @ Liberal Simplicity said... [Reply to comment]

Those look delicious! It sounds like Susannah had lots of fun helping, too. :-)

Candi said... [Reply to comment]

That's awesome!!! I am really gonna try to plant some peas this fall. Not sure if it will work or not, but I'm gonna try!

Maria D. @ DownrightDomesticity said... [Reply to comment]

Wow! I dind't know peas matured so quickly! They look delicious. And I think you look just fine in your pictures. :-) Susannah's changing so much! Is she turning blonde?

Woodbury Street Notions & Collectibles said... [Reply to comment]

Hi Miriam,
You don't know me, I am a wife and mother of a 20 and 21 year old. I live in Northern Ca., soon to be moving to San Diego. Husband job transfer. I just want you to know, that I admire your desire to lead a God filled life. Yes, and you don't try to fluff a story of a perfect life. I have seen way to many examples of women bloggers, christians too! who accomplish a lot, yet I always wonder but did you spend time with your kids? I struggle even now to now learn to be a better wife, and mother, even though my daughter and son are in college, and neither live with me. So wish they had blogging back then, so that I could have been validated for my efforts. I admire your gardening wholesome living, and especially touched by some of your past entries including the 28 days of Love. I have been greatly struggling with my christian life, and when I listened to Keith and Kristyn Getty Power of The Cross. I cried. God uses us in so many ways, we do not even know. Keep up your blogging, and know that you have made a difference in my life with your faith love and passion for your family. God Bless you Miriam, I am a changed Mom

Nancy:-)

Angie said... [Reply to comment]

Wow! Susannah sure has gotten big. :) They grow up way to fast. Nice to "see" you again. It's been a while since I've visited your blog. Your garden is super! I would love to have one. Our yard here in the city isn't very large. :(

Hope all is well.

Hugs,
Angie